Saturday, November 10, 2007

I'm not a talented story-teller. At least, not out loud. There seems to be a block between my brain and my ability to describe what's in it. There's also a block between my mouth and brain which causes me to say things, and those things I say? They get me looks. Looks. But I lack the accurate phrase to describe these looks, so I'll use J's. I say something, usually trying to make a joke, and these people look at me like I have "lobsters coming out of my ears." This look is most often partnered with either a nod or a confused look. On a really good day I get both.

J knows exactly what I am talking about. He gets looks, too.

I have no idea what I must sound like to normal people. Let's see...Vegan liberal who is self employed, hates the workings of corporations and large companies who are buying up our lives, is a pacifist that often uses the line "punch them in the face," practices Yoga, sews and reads blogs but doesn't watch TV. I belong to a Universal Unitarian Lay-Led Fellowship, I never shop at Wal-Mart, watch horror movies and spoofs of horror and science fiction movies all the time, and I have no idea what sports teams are playing. Did I mention I read celebrity gossip? I also read science fiction, some poetry from time to time, and child development books.

In short, most of our culture considers me a freak. But I think most of the people in our culture are raving imbeciles, so I don't care. I like the smart people I find. I like people who will consider, honestly, another point of view. If we have that, we can get along. Or at least we can agree to disagree.

But now, it is the weekend, and it's too nice a night for such heady stuff. I'm going to go watch anime and have a drink. See? Horrible story teller.

No comments: