Thursday, December 27, 2007

Gender neutral

I have lots of projects I want to get into now that the holiday insanity is over. There are bibs for impending babies, cloth napkins for our house, curtains for keep the cold out, and then there's this issue:


You need a different view to see the how bad these chair seats are:



What you see staining the chair is from a myriad of sources. All of them are directly related to a young child and food, and some sources are grosser than others. And every seat on every chair at our kitchen table is this bad. The set is at least 15 years old, and I think they've held up pretty well, actually. But the day care has taken its toll on my chair upholstery, and I've been waiting to re-cover these babies since October.

I recently received a how-to book on upholstery, and it includes a section on this type of seat. I need to pick up a couple of tools, some beer and some fabric. I've been looking for something pretty (for me) and fun (for the kids) but not really feminine (for J) to use, and my favorite so far is this pear print.

The price isn't bad (another fabric I looked at on that site was $38.00 a yard) and I think it would be a fun addition to our house. If the spouse approves I'm going to order the fabric, grab my tools and get crakin' on something I'll get to enjoy every day. (One of the best things about working at home is that you get to have the work space you love, and you can change it anytime you want.) I promise to document the process. You could use a good laugh, right?

No comments: