Thursday, January 24, 2008

It's called sturdy.

I finally figured out why I don't like Martha Stewart.

Well, Martha Stewart stuff, anyway. I mean, I do occasionally go to her web site. There are some kick ass ideas there. It's the Martha Stewart finish that bothers me. That, and the fact that the tutorials you can find anywhere else have detailed photographs and don't look, well, impossible.

I'm not sure if it's the scale, the colors, or some other intangible quality that I can't quite put my finger on. I think it may be that everything is too overdone; it looks like everything is made of sturdy cardboard and took at least three people to complete. It's expensive crap. So many things are falling into that category these days. I love handmade, and Martha Stewart doesn't seem to be on the same playing field in that regard because her "handmade" is almost always overcomplicated clutter. Then again, she seems like a nice lady, if a tough one. I really respect the fact that she did a little time. There are many more public figures I'd like to see behave that responsibly.

No comments: