Thursday, January 31, 2008

We can make it stronger, better, faster!

I wanted to write a wonderful post with pictures, all about the ongoing projects I'm working on and projects I'm about to start. But lunch with the kids was rather spirited today, and nap is running about an hour off for half the kids. (Well, my kid and the three year old. They were too ramped up after sticky noodle soup to sleep.) So instead I went to Blogger's help page, because I received a day-making email from the author of The Owl and the PussyCat. (See the NEW LINK SECTION to get to her blog!!) She mentioned that she couldn't comment, and so I set about fixing that. It was actually pretty easy, so I hope it worked. (I don't hold a lot of faith in my technical abilities, being someone who knocked herself out one time at the mall because I thought the front doors opened inward and I just walked right into it. They were glass doors; I must have looked like a huge pathetic bird.) So hopefully you now see a link area and you should be able to comment, if you want to. I also switched the time to EST, because I do not live in an exotic location. I made a few other changes, I think, but I was mad with power at the time and I can't remember what they were.

I would like to tell you about sticky noodle soup, though. It's really easy, and the kids love it. I use fresh veggies usually, but frozen have worked in a pinch. I love the soup because it's so fast and easy, the kids love it because it tastes good and they can manage to cover my kitchen with noodles, without me knowing it, despite the fact that I am sitting right there with them. I think this is a skill we have until we learn to make our own lunch,this ability to send food all over in a 40 foot radius without anyone noticing until the meal is over. Then this skill disappears, like something straight out of Peter Pan. It used to be called noodle soup, but after trying to remove the noodles from pretty much everything from my hair to the cat, Sticky was added. Anyway, here is how to make sticky noodle soup:


  • 2 packages Ramen noodles. (Throw out the seasoning. I hate to waste, but man that stuff is salty.)
  • Fresh veggies. I use broccoli, cauliflower, parsnips, carrots and celery.
  • 4 cups of water. (Add a cup or two if you're not going to use ice cubes to cool this down.)
  • 2 cubes veggie bullion, or just use veggie stock and skip the water/bullion steps.
  • Pepper and Celery seed to taste
Throw the water, veggies, bullion and seasonings in a pot and bring to a boil. (If you're using frozen veggies, add them after the water boils.) Allow to boil for 3 to 5 minutes, add the noodles, cook for 3 minutes, serve.

That's it! J now uses this as his Chicken Noodle substitute. I do, too. But here's a dirty little secret: the oriental ramen is vegan, and sometimes I just make it with the enclosed spices, no veggies, just noodles and sodium. He calls me "salt lick" when this happens. But a girl needs to overdose on salt sometimes.

So hopefully you'll get the intended post early next week. I'm going out with a friend tonight for dinner and to be emotional support, and this weekend is the party. You know, The Last Official Party Before I Start Getting Pregnant. That party. So I won't be much use until Monday, and then I'll show you all the fun stuff I'm not getting done right now, and all the fun stuff I won't be getting done later.

3 comments:

greenemother said...

Yeah! It worked, I am now free to comment as often as you allow me to!!! Have a wonderful time at your party! Let loose and have fun, because without a child hanging on to you, or anywhere in the area, you can be a sort of irresponsible adult!! Enjoy every second of it!

HollyLynne said...

ooh, i LOVE doctored up ramen!!! and i had no idea that the oriental was vegan?!!??! gosh, i'm going to have to try some now!!

Domesticrazy said...

Yep. My Ramen addiction was so bad, we went out and found the one that was vegan. It's the Top Ramen brand.

mmmmmmmm