Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Hammers, magazines and a minor flaw

You know what's great about making things? Sometimes you get to use a hammer. I bought a snap setting kit to finish up the bibs I've been making, and it requires a hammer. I'm so happy! Sometimes just whacking the hell out of something is just what you need. Well, what I need, anyway.

I like the snaps better than the velcro I've been sewing on. So far I haven't been able to find a sew on velcro that doesn't have sticky stuff on the back. I like the way the glue holds the velcro in place for sewing, but I detest the process of cleaning off my needle every third stitch with rubbing alcohol because it's coated with the afore-mentioned glue. I am getting a bit more interested in hand sewing, though. Like embroidery, hand sewing is something I can do while traveling, and it seems very satisfying. Or, you know, I could suck at it and end up frustrated and bleeding from thirty or forty holes in my fingers. We'll find out.

I'm jumping around today, both writing here and mentally. I think cabin-fever may have struck; I've been like this for a few days and it doesn't seem to be getting better. The kid and I decided to run to the store last night just to get out of the house. (She actually spent the last hour of our day care day standing by the garage door or following me around asking to "go on an adventure.") We picked up a forbidden Coca-cola, some pretzels, and two magazines: Threads and Domino. Since we don't watch TV and I rarely get out to things like malls or large stores that aren't JoAnn or Whole foods, I'll grab a magazine from time to time to see what's going on in the world.

On a side note, I used to be addicted to HGTV. I love design and organization, and that channel had shows to suit me. Apparently Domino has some deal with Domino, because there was a huge section in the magazine featuring the HGTV Dream Home...a big house you can win. I looked through the pictures, threw up a little in my mouth, got out a sharpie and started "editing" all the ugly crap they used to decorate the Dream House. In one room someone decided to habg a large, stainless steel word on the wall. The word was "BAY." Jesus, people. BAY? Next time just hang up the word "IDIOT." That is, if you feel you really need to hang random words on the wall at all. So I have the feeling that next time I get to sneak an hour or two of HGTV I'm not going to be so impressed.

There were two other things that struck me about this issue of Domino. First, the amount of money they spent needlessly. On one page there was an organizing tip that recommended that you put a cork board, etc on the inside of one of your cabinets. Great idea, actually. But they covered the cork board with fabric that was, if I remember correctly, $168.00 a yard. If I buy fabric that expensive I'm going to wear it every day, on my heard, preferably with a live satellite feed broadcasting my every movement. Plus, that fabric ought to do my hair while it's up there. As I went through the magazine the prices just kept going up, like the editors thought that if you kept reading until the end then you deserve to see the really expensive stuff. It was a little bizarre. Second, while the organizing tips ranged from OK to pretty good, there was very little I could use. Most stuff was at a level where the under three set could reach it, and that will not work here. Maybe I could start a new genre, classy design for daycares and large families. This year I have decided to get a ton of useless shit out of our house, i.e. de-clutter, and that means re-organizing and finding or creating creative storage space, especially for the day care. Domino, your baskets on a low table? Not going to cut it. Perhaps you could do an issue on this issue? Let me know, I'd be happy to consult for a very reasonable fee.

No comments: