Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Just before making stuff, after cleaning

I got my (gift) copy of Newsweek in the mail a few days ago, and I've been slowly reading it. I hate election years. Please, please make it stop.

I feel like politics is a huge joke sometimes, something that is not being performed for us but, rather, on us. Maliciously. A joke at us. I feel the same way about quite a lot of things, actually. But the worst is politics. It's not a funny joke, either. It's a mean one, one that leaves you stung and tears welling in your eyes.

I'm not just talking about the U.S. in an election year, either. For some stupid reason people in charge all over the world blow the living bejeezus out of the people not in charge, all over the same world. It just sucks harder when you watch it with what seems like no recourse. I vote the hell out of my one ballot, every time. But I live in one of those states that mysteriously turned red, and I can't be sure my vote was counted at all. Fraud in electronic voting machines, etc etc etc. I want so much to see peace, civil liberties valued, education balanced and managed well. I'm someone who would be thrilled to see a ministry of peace, and not have it dedicated to everlasting war.

Watching my little girl grow, I want her to have a garden. I want her to know stillness and silence, wilderness and freedom. I want her to help change the way works, so it will be here for her children, and theirs. You know-a world with grass and air and an ozone.

I want to be an optimist, but that gets harder when people collectively act like assholes. I just don't get it. But I've never really liked practical jokes, or mean jokes. So every election year I read about or hear otherwise sensible people saying things that make no sense, and I want to bang my head on the wall. Politics and politicians bother the hell out of me. I just want someone who is honest and is really trying to do the best for everyone, not just line pockets.

Ahhhh, dare to dream.

No comments: