Tuesday, April 22, 2008

SPRING!

So let's visit the world outside my door, shall we? It's 75. Degrees. Outside. There is sun. Thing are blooming. The kids and I have spent the last two days out in the fresh air, planting flowers and herbs and bushes and trees, putting down mulch and watering everything until mud flows like honey over the land.

One of the plants I'm most excited about is our curry plant. I don't think it's actually edible, but it smells like heaven! The sweet scent of Indian kitchens...I might gain 10 pounds because every time I walk by it I get hungry. John and I talked today about ordering and real curry-leaf plant, but we'll have to see if we can find one. I've heard it's difficult. If we do get a curry plant the next thing you know I'll be trying to cultivate cinnamon and cloves. Hopefully all the energy I put forth in the garden will balance out how much I'll be eating.

We still have some lavender, cilantro, rosemary, basil and geraniums to plant. Oh! And some Freesia. Then all the vegetable plants-but we need to wait a few weeks on those, because the frost-free date here is mid to late May. Last year I lost all my Brussels sprouts to bugs, and had no idea when to harvest my lettuce. I'm hoping this year to do a bit better. I also have my own compost going, so that's going to come in handy, I hope.

There's really nothing like growing your own food. Or like being outside and planting things that will grow and be beautiful all summer long. I have a butterfly garden that I adore, and I'd really like to get a fountain going somewhere. I feel such peace outside. I'm torn between the dream John and I have of living in a small city where we can walk anywhere we want to go, and living out in the middle of nowhere in the mountains. I likes me some privacy, but being able to walk to the grocery store, the movies, a restaurant, etc would be awesome. I guess we'll just have to see where life takes us, eh?

No comments: