Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Cheerfully indignant

Apparently I didn't mention that I was taking an Ambien to John last night, so he was very surprised when I fell asleep sitting up with a drink in my hand. He said I was "cheerfully indignant" when he took my drink away.

I had a blast last weekend. My surprise was bowling at a charity event sponsored by the local Blues club. E scored 2 strikes in the last game and honestly beat her mother at bowling. She also woke up the next morning and her first words were"I want to go bowling again, with the bowling shoes!" The shoes are obviously very important.

Beck same into town, and we rocked the arts fair, among other things. We ditched a meditation that we thought was a more interactive Buddhist celebration. We found a really beautiful park, ate the best lunch ever, made jewelry, and hung up paper lanterns on my front porch. Later we found them blown down and huddled in the corner, waiting to be disintegrated by the oncoming rain. They're inside now.

There was a little cookout Saturday night, with all my favorite people and an unexpectedly beautiful evening after a cold and blustery day. I got offered a job teaching children's workshops at community art center in town. It's not a lot of money, but it's some, and would be fun. I can do it on Saturdays, and as many or as few as I want.

After Beck left I wasn't sure what to do with myself. Let me tell you, if you only have a couple of good friends in a lifetime, you're very lucky. Some people never get any. Becky is one of the people I'm thankful for. She's funny, she's smart, she's talented, creative, artistic, and the first person to ever moon me. We were and are partners in crime. There was a time in my life when I didn't get to talk to Becky very much. Seeing her now is a little gift, a part of my life I thought I'd lost resurrected and just as much fun as I remember it. So I built a compost area with pavers and mulch, and long, thin sticks of dried bamboo.

I like building stuff.

A friend gave me a refrigerator box for the kids. We've built an awesome clubhouse with a door, windows and window latches. It's awesome. I'd love to show you pictures of all this, but John brought home the batteries this evening, so they're still charging. That's correct-my dumb ass forgot to buy batteries all weekend long, so none of this was captured. The good news: the batteries will be ready for tomorrow. And so will I.

1 comment:

HollyLynne said...

making jewelry?!!? hope you get those camera batteries soon cause I wanna see what you made! I might as well just welcome you now to the Bead Addicts Club ;)
Your birthday weekend sounds like a blast, glad you had fun!