Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sad to see

We've had quite a week... all the kids got a cold. I did, too, but I can take decongestants, so I did better than the poor wees! Six runny noses, six coughing miserable little guys, six fevers. Thank goodness they all go home at night. I had enough trouble taking care of one feverish little one in the evenings. The good news is that we're all feeling better. The bad news is that I now have to sanitize everything in the house, so I'm going to be up to my elbows in bleach tomorrow. Not really all that bad, actually.

There's this thing out on the internets called the "Random Image Generator." It takes the last 30 photos posted on Live Journal and puts them in a row. It's like 30 random insights into everyday life. You can click on the link to the actual journal if you so choose, and sometimes I do. I found some cool stuff this way, and some neat people. I have also found some disturbing subcultures, like the anorexia one I stumbled onto again today. There's a girl who is going to go on a 40 day fast starting today, because she ate yesterday. She's 18 and in college. She just took a nutrition class and lied through the entire thing, saying "it felt good not to eat all the things I said I did." She posted a picture of someone that looked like they were dying of starvation for "thinspiration" and commenters were leaving her messages of support. Telling her that the "cold and pain" were good.

This girl is 18. She's killing herself. To be thin. I don't know her name, where she lives or what she looks like. But I'm going to think about her all day today, and into the future. I'm going to send her all the positive energy I can muster, because I can't imagine how bad she must feel about herself to go to those extremes. Poor, poor girl. What a sad thing, and that there are others encouraging her, and doing the same thing. How can we help, when there are so many in the world that need help? And basic things like food and water? If I ever find an answer to that, I'll share it. But now I'm going to go enjoy turning 30 and being a Mom. I hope you have a great weekend, too, and send good thoughts to that girl, OK? Thanks.

1 comment:

HollyLynne said...

turning 30 . . .is someone having a birthday?! Happy birthday, if so :) And happy mother's day in any event!

I could write a book on anorexia . . . I'm getting angry and sad just sitting here thinking about it. I'll send some good thoughts that girl's way too . . .