Saturday, August 30, 2008

What a pick!

OK, political once again. Sorry guys, but the GOP VP choice baffles me. Well, actually, it makes a lot of sense when you think about all the emotional investment the groups that she will attract have in their causes. Let's see:

  1. Women who want a woman in office, no matter what her qualifications (or lack thereof) are
  2. Pro-life Groups
  3. Oil interests (her husband works for BP)
  4. Parents of children with special needs
I'm forgetting a few here, but come on. She has less experience and fewer qualifications than either Obama or Biden, and seems like a pandering desperation choice. And then there's this, which makes a sad situation even sadder. Stupid politics. Sorry to rant, I just needed to get that out.

3 comments:

HollyLynne said...

ugh, its been pissing me off all weekend too. I'm a feminist, yes. But that doesn't mean I'm voting based on which ticket has the most breasts. Its really offensive that McCain somehow thinks having a woman, any woman, on his ticket is going to attract Hilary supporters. Besides the aforementioned breasts, Sarah Palin has NOTHING in common with Hilary.
And the pregnant teenage daughter thing . . . I do respect what Obama said about people's families being off limits, but Sarah Palin isn't exactly playing by those rules. With her stance on abstinence only education in schools, being against gay marriage and even against domestic partnership rights, and being staunchly anti choice I'd say she concerns herself VERY MUCH with whats going on in our bedrooms. You lose your right to privacy in that department when you insist on legislating other people's sex lives.
Don't even start me on the whole "teaching creation theory in schools" bit.

Domesticrazy said...

You know, I was chickening out by leaving politics off limits. Living in the Midwest means that I've been screamed at, bullied and called horrible names for feeling the way I do about gay rights, science and the like. So...

(hee hee) Abstinence only seems to be working pretty well, eh? This "energizing the conservative base" is a load of crap. They not only picked her because she's a woman, but also because she hits all the neo-conservative hot buttons. "Anything to win" seems like a poor platform to win on.

HollyLynne said...

I see your point wanting to leave politics off the blog . . . I enjoy my blog and I don't want to turn it into a circus for inviting lame ass comments. But hey, if you're going to post something that I agree with, I'll run with that :)

Its true that she's got all of the conservative bases covered. But I really don't think any ultra conservatives were ever going to vote for Obama anyways. So, score one for us :)