Monday, September 8, 2008

Box o' Joy! And Halloween in coming!

We've had Netflicks for something like 5 years now, and we really enjoy the service. Unfortunately the "30 Day Shred" DVD I've been waiting for has a "short wait" and so I remain un-toned and flabby. John has been talking about the Netflicks Box from Roku for awhile, and has been looking for them in stores from time to time. The "Box" as we like to call it, allows you to watch anything available for instant viewing online to be transmitted to your TV.

Super cool! Also: my computer spell check needs to alert me to every "fro" I write. I rarely mention fro's, so just let me know I keep fucking up the word "for," OK?

Anyway, you can put something like 422 movies on your instant queue, and aside from the $100 or so ( I do not know the actual price, but it's around there) all the content is free. There are documentaries out the ass, movies galore, though not quite the selection you can get through the mail. But you're still getting your mail movies, too! It's win win. And I love our box so very much. Because not only do you get movies and documentaries, cartoons and more, you also get an impressive collection of workout selections. 30 Day Shred is, sadly, not instantly available, but a whole bunch of other awesome DVDs are. I currently have a series of 10 minute workouts, and once I can do those without crying, I'm going to move on to one of the DVDs by the same lady who does 30 Day Shred. There's yoga, dance, pilates, kickboxing, the list is huge. I tried the 10 minute abs for beginners, and if I needed any sort of reminder that I am no longer in champion swimmer state, that 10 minutes of ouch was it.

I have a mini vacation this week, with 3 of the kids on vacation. So I only have three to watch. Given my druthers, this would probably be the amount of kids I would watch. Stupid money. I had a rather intense all day panic attack on Friday, and I'm still getting some aftershocks. This bought is not nearly as intense, and I am grateful for that. There's a lot going on, like that time f the month (which seems to fit the pattern for these stupid attacks), my Grandmother suddenly needs to move from the house she lives in with my Aunt and cousin into an apartment on her own (she's 84?) and John and I are talking about kids again. There's more, but my guess is that are the big ones triggering this round. But it's going to be OK. And the mini-vacation seems timed perfectly, doesn't it? A little break just when I need it. Thanks Deity!

I picked out the pattern and material for my Halloween costume. It's The Green adult one WITHOUT the hat.) The theme of our friend's party is Folklore from around the world (didn't know that when I got my stuff) and friends decided I'll be Brigid. As long as I don't look like a carrot, I'll be happy. The material is a very pretty honey orange...which I will try to find a link to. And I have failed.

I also let E pick out material for her cape. She wants to be Cinderella, but I'll be damned if I let the kid anywhere near the Disney version. She has decided she needs to wear an old play dress that someone gave us. It's a light blue silky material. She also wants to wear her "glass shoes" which are black dress shoes, and since the dress is short and short-sleeved (and likely to be more so by October) I decided to make her a cape to help her keep warm. I tried to steer her towards velvet, or brocade, or any other warm and pretty fabric. She picked a beutiful faux silk type dark blue for the lining, and skeleton heads with silver glitter eyes for the outside.

This is our girl-the line runs true. John and I are horror freaks, and she is, without much encouragement, following our path. TOO COOL! I just need to sew the cape togther and I'll share a picture. My friend Lauren helped my get it laid out, planned and cut yesterday. Man, hanging out with all the cool ladies I know has been great, but the fact that they have knowledge and share it is more than I had hoped for.

Well, off to lunch prep and eating. I hope your weekend was fun!

3 comments:

HollyLynne said...

ooh, halloween costume!!! i ADORE halloween but I never really do the whole costume thing. maybe when I have kids. I can't wait to see pictures of your completed costumes!!!

I ordered my copy of the 30 day shred from overstock.com . . .$9.91 and $2.95 for shipping. It should arrive today, I'll let you know how it goes :)

Domesticrazy said...

Sweet! I hope that you do not actually DIE! from the workout. I can't wait to hear all about it!

ravenna_blue said...

It was great to see you too!

I think next time I might have to choose crafting over D&D maybe, I dunno.

Anyhoo, if you need to calk you have my #.