Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Let's talk about crafts, boobs and excrement.

No, seriously. Let's do!

I spent most of today sewing, with two fabulous bags as the result. I've got quite a list of stuff together for the show Friday, and more to come. I had the brilliant idea to make some large marble magnets out of some vintage labels I have a book of, and despite some serious printer crap I think they are going to look great. I do need to hit a color copier soon, though. In all honesty, I don't have half of what I'd thought I'd get done. It's the pregnant. I'm so very, very tired, and when it comes down to sew vs. nap, nap wins lately. Actually, nap has been winning against all craft, cleaning and pretty much everything else, except eating. I have never been this hungry in my life. and I used to smoke A LOT of weed.

Given my hunger, I'd be very worried about the pregnancy except for the quality of the hunger and the sick that both eating and not eating now creates. Also, my boobs. They are bigger and still very sore. This pregnancy has been different in every way from the one with E, but familiar enough that I am not freaking out and assuming impending miscarriage. Which is nice! Plus, hormones are moving in, and for the first time in recent memory I am getting relaxed and happy without the aid of wine, etc. And the boobs! I have lost weight everywhere but boob and tummy. Which makes me look like a stacked Buddha at times, but I'm OK with that. I'm also breaking out like a teenager again, which while irritating, is yet another good sign. (That pregnancy glow? It starts in the 2nd trimester, and is caused my your oily skin getting used to being oily so you don't break out as much. That and the happy hormones. Pregnancy is not as sexy as you might hope.) The sad news about my boobs is that the kitten accidentally scratched the ever loving shit out of the right one today. She was investigating my sewing machine, and when I went to move her it apparently scared her. Her response was to attack my hands (both are wounded and covered in band-aids) then leap onto my chest, claws out. My right nipple will probably have a nice scar, and it smarts like the dickens right now. Can't blame the cat, though. She was just reacting to her environment. Next time I'll use the squirt bottle. From a distance.

Now, onto the poop! This could also be called "Things they don't tell you about pregnancy, Part 5." With E, not only was I unable to eat or think about food without horking, I also couldn't poop. This is such a common problem in pregnancy that the prenatal vitamin samples my doctor gave me proudly proclaim on the front that they include a stool softener! (I told you, it's just not sexy.) I will tell you more about these vitamins in a later post, because they deserve their own time. Trust me.

I had to leave work a few times because of the cramping from constipation, and even spent over an hour during a concert in the thankfully well-kept bathroom at the venue, wishing for death or the ability to poop. At that point I would have been happy with either. The iron in prenatal pills is one common theory for this, and it is also known to add to the nausea. Which needs no help, thank you. The good news is that the experience of being knocked up is not the same for everyone, nor is it the same each time. I have certain hallmarks I looks for, but this one has been so very different from E's. I can eat! I only want certain foods, but it beats the hell out of crying every time someone mentions food then going to throw up. I have also avoided the worst of the not-pooping (as I'm sure you were dying to know) and I am grateful (GRATEFUL!!) for that. I was mortified last time, while sitting on the toilet for a long stretch, reading my "What To Expect" book, to find out that you can actually give yourself hemorrhoids by pushing to hard to poop. The list of indignities at that point was endless. Hemorrhoids was the last straw. I refused to get them, and that was that. One of my friends, after the birth of her second child called into work to tell us she was fine. Her actual first comment was "No hemorrhoids!" After a healthy child and no major repairs in your downstairs area, it's the best news a new mom can hope for.

Have a good day!

2 comments:

HollyLynne said...

oh. my. god.
is there no end to the indignaty?!!?
that just sucks.
its a damn good thing babies are so cute!

Domesticrazy said...

It is a very good thing they are so cute! Plus, the horrible stuff only lasts a little while, stretch marks aside, and is totally worth it once you hold that Wee One in your arms.

Don't ask about the spit-up. You'll love it, believe it or not!