Thursday, January 29, 2009

18 weeks

According to Baby Center:
Head to rump, your baby is about 5 1/2 inches long (about the length of a bell pepper) and he weighs almost 7 ounces. He's busy flexing his arms and legs — movements that you'll start noticing more and more in the weeks ahead. His blood vessels are visible through his thin skin, and his ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from his head a bit. A protective covering of myelin is beginning to form around his nerves, a process that will continue for a year after he's born. If you're having a girl, her uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and in place. If you're having a boy, his genitals are noticeable now, but he may hide them from you during an ultrasound.

At the bottom of the page it mentions scheduling birthing classes. I think it's too soon for that, but I guess I better check. After next week, when I meet the potential new OB. I hope she is as wonderful as my Doc says she is. And that she believes in drugs. Fuck natural childbirth, I'm a wimp.

I was getting a little worried about baby last night. I'm going through round two of this damn stomach flu, and I just haven't been hungry. It's been over a week that I've been forcing food into my gullet for the baby. It's not even much food, just some applesauce here and a peanut butter cracker there. My appetite seems to be coming back a bit, so I had cabbage and noodles last night with John and E. Baby seemed to like it, because I suddenly wanted MORE! I took it easy, though, just in case. Good thing, too. Anyway, after I laid down last night I felt some kicking, and that made me feel a ton better. Even slept a bit!

I've been thinking about how this pregnancy compares to the one with E. Last time I felt ravishing. This time? No. Last time I could lay down and rest whenever I wanted to. No. Last time John leaped about, Super Hero like, attending to my needs and wants. This time I had to beg him to get me Ginger Ale when I was barfing. (He'd had a couple of drinks and had fallen asleep, but still.) He made up for it by getting my chocolate chip cookies, though, so he's OK. The differences in how I feel are pretty striking, too. I haven't been as sick with morning sickness, but I've had two stomach flus at this point. I am not the pink happy floating ball of fluffy joy I was last time, but I am confident in my ability to care for and love a child. Even a tiny baby. I know pretty much what to expect as far as birth, nursing and the like. It evens out. I AM very happy, though. The weirdest part of this pregnancy is how unreal it seems. I keep feeling my belly, and each time I am surprised that my stomach is popping out. Even hearing the heartbeat hasn't cemented the baby. Perhaps knowing the gender will? Or seeing an ultrasound of something that looks a little more human than blob? I don't know. I already love this baby; I am dreaming of things to make it, cuddling it, loving it. It may be that reality doesn't hit until the baby is in my arms. That's OK. As long as baby makes it, he or she can seem like a dream until birth. It's a wonderful dream.

1 comment:

HollyLynne said...

It cracks me up that the baby likes cabbage and noodles . . . we had that for dinner too on Tuesday :)