Friday, April 10, 2009

And the Doctor says:

I met with the psychiatrist this morning. She recommended going back on meds 3 to 4 weeks before my due date. I then talked to the OB, who said with my history that course of action was understandable, but that there was still a risk to the baby. Not withdrawal, like the Psych was worried about, but other symptoms associated with ANY use of that class of drugs at ANY time during the third trimester. Symptoms like slow heartbeat, breathing problems, seizures and irritability. She also said that most babies are fine, but there is an increased risk. Even if you start taking the drugs only two weeks before birth. She recommended that I think about it.

I'll start taking the drugs after the baby is born. Getting me to therapeutic levels before postpartum kicks in is important, but not as important as making sure my newborn doesn't have seizures. Do I still have a little anxiety? Sure. But I've been avoiding the panic attacks, and will continue to do so, cognitively. The docs both said that the panic doesn't harm the baby, so I don't have to worry about past damage done. Thank goodness.

I'm now 28 weeks, which means 12 left. I can do this. Everything is going to be OK! The baby is growing well, the heartbeat is good, and things around this joint are improving at a rapid pace. We're moving furniture around this weekend to further de-anxiety daycare time, and that make me happy, too. Two kids is going to be a trip, but a good one.

And now, I need to get off the computer because a certain girl and her Daddy want to watch a HomeStar Runner before her bubble bath. Happy Easter/Passover/weekend!

No comments: