Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Robbers

In the past two or three days E has started asking us questions about robbers. Things like "Are there any robbers in the world?" and "Where do robbers live?" I have tried to give good parent answers, but do not know the perfect way to deal with this. Tonight at dinner we discovered that her cousins introduced this idea to her. The context is hazy, but it doesn't matter. John took her all around the house and showed her our defenses, which seemed like a good idea. I don't want to lie to her, but I also don't want to scare the crap out of her, either. It's a fine line. Especially since we've also had to start dealing with the stranger issue. She makes friends with everyone, and we need her to be a little less trusting and friendly with adults. It makes me want to cry sometimes. We have a sweet, trusting and friendly little girl that we need to make less sweet, trusting and friendly. Because some people are not nice. She is too young to learn this. She needs to know it now. We're treading carefully here, because again, we don't want to traumatize her. It's a line you don't think about walking when you decide to become a parent, any more than you try to figure out how you're going to deal with the sensitive issue of pulling down pants or lifting up dresses in public. You think about big things, like religion and discipline theories and breast or bottle. *sigh*

We're still waiting for my womb to oust this child. I emailed one set of parents today who have their little girl on vacation. They mentioned seeing me next week if I hadn't had the baby. HELL NO, PEOPLE. I am too pregnant to watch your child now. I emailed back, using words like "possible induction" and "will let you know." Come on, baby. Mama doesn't want to have this conversation, and you'll like it out here! LOTS of room! For stretching! Even at 4 am!

All in all, I've been doing really well the last two days. Yesterday E and I spent the day with my Mom. Today we went to visit Daddy at work, and then I took my girl to the pool. She saw her best friend there, who happened to be wearing the same swimming suit. They had a blast. I got to see the little brother, too. I watch both kids, and it was great to have them run up and be super excited to see me. Don't get me wrong: I still want and need a new job. On the other hand, that rocked! As did a great day with my girl. She is so tired, though, that she had trouble eating dinner. Once again, robbers. Were they running through the woods? Why were there robbers? I need to remember to give my niece and nephew a very scary movie for the next major holiday. On principle.

1 comment:

HollyLynne said...

I have to say, in all our talking about it, Boy and I have NEVER once touched on the subject of robbers. I think showing her the locks and whatnot is an awesome idea. Hope it does the trick!