Monday, August 3, 2009

Just like that girl on the front lawn at every kegger

Saturday morning our little family of four got all bold and brave and went down to Hocking Hills for a hike. We decided to hike a new site, Ash Cave. One of the reasons we picked that site was the paved path, which was supposed to make it an easy hike for the mama, who gave birth a measly three weeks ago and is still supposed to be taking it easy. Long story short, I was feeling OK and ended up going on the MUCH more difficult rim trail with the family.

I spent the following day passed out.

Now, I am under orders, just like all new moms, to take it easy with the stairs. I mentioned this fact to John when he asked me if I wanted to hike the rim trail with him and E. But the trail wasn't rated as especially difficult, and we saw lots of little kids coming down at the end, so I figured "what the heck?" I think the kids we saw went halfway and turned around, because we started at the other end, and had to detour around a large mass of fallen trees. Trees that were falling off a cliff. I'm not sure which initially exhausted me more: the hike itself or the anxiety that my family, complete with three week old strapped to her dad, would slide off the edge of the cliff. Going around the trees was the hardest part of the hike, because there was no trail and we were going up and then down a very steep incline with small children. By that point I knew I was in over my head, but had no choice but to finish. Sunday I found out that my midsection has places that are still very sore, and that stairs are nothing compared to a cliff hike. Oh, and that I am an idiot.

Ash Cave, however, was beautiful. The hike started with us getting to the site, E peeing her pants (she would have made it except for a very slow guy in the latrine) and us trying to figure out what to do. After the pee incident, however, everything went wonderfully, tree detour aside. We had a great day, did our grocery shopping on the way home, and then John got his night off and I took B for the night. We've been trading nights on the weekends for sanity's sake. That way one of us gets a good night's sleep at least once a week. Yay!

My Mother In Law is coming to visit this week. According to rumor, she should arrive today. We will be visiting the zoo this week, I have a dress fitting on Friday and my sister's bridal shower and bachelorette party on Saturday. And tons to do to get ready for both, so I better motor.

1 comment:

HollyLynne said...

ooohh . . . I'm sorry you felt so awful after that hike! I can see totally wanting to get out there and do things again . . . especially with E around, it must be hard to take it easy! I'm glad you had fun, even if you suffered for it later :(